Usually steam bath is available in two types
1.General – in a room
Steam bath is very popular among people since a long because –
1.It requires less room than sauna.
2.It requires low electricity.
3.It comapratively less expensive to run and maintain.
- The Only disadvantage of steam bath is only one person can use it at a time .
- Usually the cabinet of steam bath is made up of Fiber glass is use to be of wood or metal in old days.
- Most of the cabinets have one door with a curved apperture for the neck which either opens to side or drops forward with chains.
- The seat inside is adjustable so one can sit comfortably and allow the head to be free from the cabinet.
- Steam is produced by a small electrical heater which heat to the water the container just below the seat.
- A thermostat controlls the heat from the outside.
- There is a Protective wooden block for leg protection which at also allows free circulation of air.
- Depending upon the size of the container water will take 15 to 20 minutes to reach the desired temperature.
- The steam temperature need to be maintained lower than sauna because it can scald as it is wet heat.The treatment time camn be around 20 minutes on a low heat i.e.33 C or 92 F or a maximum of 5 to 10 minutes on a high heat i.e. 48 C or 118 F.
- There is no noticable rise in body temperature or pulse rate.
- Heats the body resulting in increased circulation.
- Promotes sebaceous and sudoriferous gland activity.
- Relaxes and softens the body tissues , relieves minor aches and pains and loosens soft tissues.
- People with Asthma Varicose veins,Psoriasis,Migraine benefit by steam bath (Wet heat).Constrastly , their problem might flare up if they take sauna bath because of dry heat.
You are not advised to take steam bath if you have following conditions:
- Heart diseases.
- Abnormally high or low blood pressure.
- Venous thrmbosis.
- Uncontrolled diabetes.
- Diseases of the kidney.
- Skin diseases and infections.
- Under the influence of aloholic drinks.
- Less than two hours after a meal.
- Severe exhaustion or dehydration.
Method of use of steam bath :
- Take off all jewellery or metallic objects you are wearing.
- Seat in with towel wrapped around the body.
- If the temperature gets unbearable inside you can release excess heat by opening the door .That instantly releases the heat and cools off the steam.
- Wipe away excess moisture on eyebrow or tip of your nose because that makes you uncomfortable.
- Neck towel can only be wrapped to cover.
- After steam bath wash with warm water shower to remove the sweat.
- After steam relax atleast for 15 minutes.